Thursday, September 22, 2011

Dear Sorostitute at Starbucks, Please Read This Carefully:

There are some people that I encounter in my life and I just can't help but wonder "What the hell is wrong with you?" I just encountered one of these people. 

I was getting coffee here at the Starbucks in the union and while I was walking back to my table this girl gives me the most obvious stare as I walked by her. Normally I don't notice [nor do I normally give a damn] these stares I get from people, but this girl was SHAMELESS. I'm talkin' head turned as I passed, watched me walk all the way back to the table from the counter. I looked up and met her eyes as she stared at me just after she let out a giggle. Now, I can only assume that I gave her a look that could kill, because she immediately got this sad look on her face, apologized, and walked away awfully quickly.

I get it. I walk funny. Congratulations, girl in Starbucks, you now know what I've known my whole life. Next time? Just ask me what's wrong with me. Making up a story is so much more fun that having the overwhelming urge to slap the stupid off your face. 

That being said, let me just vent a smidge about this. 

Yes, I am a 'twee bit crippled' [Thanks, Chels, for reminding me of that the other day. You're hilarious. :p] For those of you who don't really know what's wrong, I'll take the time to tell you. I was born 2 months premature, and as a result of that, I have what they call Cerebral Palsy. It affected the Achilles tendon in my heels. I used to walk A LOT worse than I do now, but that's mostly because I've had three surgeries to attempt to correct the issue. The second one fixed my left leg, but it apparently didn't stick with the right one. So, when I was 14 we gave it another shot. That one worked in the sense that I can now put my right heel to the ground. Other than that, though, I would consider the last surgery I had to be ineffective. I was upset about this once upon a time, but now not so much.

That's just me, and I'm okay with that. But it's times like today where I'm just dumbfounded by people. Staring? Okay, I get that. It's different. You can't help it. Whatever. But laughing? Come on, you're in college now. Grow up a little. When you giggle, you don't make me depressed or sad. You piss me off. You must be one ignorant person to find that funny, and you must lack brain cells all together to think that I don't know that you're doing it. Next time remember this:

I'm much more than just a girl who walks funny. I'm one of the nicest people you'd ever meet. I can be the best friend you'd ever have. I think I'm kinda funny. I'm pretty smart when I try hard enough. I have the ability to laugh at myself, and I'm completely okay with who I am. Can you say the same? No, probably not. You're probably the kind of person who thrives on the acceptance of others, and you crumble without it. Me? Nah. You don't like me? Fine. I don't really need you to like me. I've got the best friends that I could ask for. So, girl in Starbucks, think before you stare at someone who doesn't prance around in leggings and sperrys just like you. Think next time. 

Okay. I'm done ranting now. Have a lovely day everyone. :)

2 comments:

mary said...

well said dani! that woman is a shallow thing.

Bethany said...

You inspire me, love. I wish i could be as ok in my skin as you are.
And i miss you.